Opis stanowiska pracy
NEPCon (Nature, Economy and People Connected) is a non-profit organisation that works for sustainable land use and climate-friendly solutions. With 250+ staff around the world, our projects build capacity, raise awareness, conserve nature and streamline sustainability through innovation.
As Timber Legality & Responsible Sourcing Specialist in NEPCon you will be working closely with the Responsible Sourcing Programme Manager to support the implementation of NEPCon’s timber legality related projects, as well as service and support functions in the area of timber legality, due diligence and certification support.
NOTE: This position is planned to be based in Poland or the Baltics, but other locations in Europe may be considered for exceptional candidates.
This is a varied and stimulating role, which comprises the following main areas of responsibility:
- Working on the EU LIFE project “Enabling Effective Implementation and Enforcement of the EU Timber Regulation in 6 Key Timber Importing Countries” (about half of your time will be dedicated to this).
You will work closely with the technical project manager to support the following tasks: the development of technical tools and training materials; development of the Sourcing Hub database; establishment of 3 key stakeholder networks and providing technical input into the development presentations and workshops conducted for Operators, Monitoring Organisations and Competent Authorities. You will also work with the 12 project partners when needed for the technical outputs.
- Working on other donor funded projects related to timber legality: This may include analyses of legislation, risk assessments, pilot testing solutions to avoid sourcing illegal timber and other related projects.
- Client work for NEPCon Solutions; the division within NEPCon that works with clients to deliver corporate sustainability solutions such as supply chain risk assessments and bespoke auditing and training services:
- Timber Legality: You will support NEPCon’s client relationships with timber-legality clients in Europe and globally, including large retail clients, aimed at meeting the requirements of the EU Timber Regulation (EUTR) as well as clients’ bespoke sustainability criteria. You will work closely with these companies to implement solutions to their sourcing challenges through the scheduling and conducting risk assessment and mitigation activities, trainings, the creation of documented due diligence systems, improving communication with their suppliers and other activities.
- Responsible Sourcing: Providing advisory services, similar to the above, to a wider portfolio of clients in the timber, palm oil, textiles, soy, beef and other natural resource sectors, to support them in their goals to meet established sustainability standards or their own Sustainability Policies.
- Higher education (at least bachelor's degree) in the field of forestry, biology, geography, environmental management, law, international development, international policy, or related field.
- Recommended 3+ years of experience working with timber legality or related topics in the timber processing/trading sector, certification sector or related field.
- Knowledge of forestry legislation and policy context, as well as associated laws around transport and trade of timber products; timber legality expertise and proficiency with topics such as the EUTR.
- Knowledge of, or experience working in, one or more of the following areas: timber processing industry, wood trade, forest management, nature protection, wood biomass industry, or similar area.
- Knowledge of, or experience working with, Chain of Custody systems and traceability systems for wood products.
- Understanding of risk-based approaches to legality and sustainability assessments.
- Strong numeracy - competence and understanding of numerical data, statistical calculations and volume data.
- Fluency in English (written and spoken) is essential for this position. Fluency in additional languages, with preference for French, Spanish, German, Russian or Romanian will be considered a strong asset.
- Proficiency in the MS Office package and a good understanding of administrative IT systems.
- You are willing and able to travel internationally as part of your job role.
- You have good planning skills and are able to adapt quickly to changing circumstances.
- You are an open and friendly person, who is competent and enjoys communicating with people on all levels.
- You have networking skills and a desire to meet new people and organisations.
- You are proactive and able to work independently and on your own initiative.
- You have an analytical approach, pay attention to detail and are able to identify non-conformities and risks when assessing client procedures.
- Public speaking skills and networking skills will be considered an advantage.
- You are a constructive team-player and have an open attitude towards other cultures, as we collaborate across borders in our organisation.
- You are comfortable working in a remote-working environment, where most communication with colleagues around the world occurs via email and Skype.
- You believe in NEPCon’s vision and mission and want to contribute to fulfilling it.
- Work time: 40 hours/week
- The position reports to our Responsible Sourcing / Solutions Division Manager based in Europe.
- Working location: NEPCon’s office in Estonia (Tartu), Latvia (Riga), Lithuania (Vilnius), or Poland (Krakow) - or from home office or co-working space in one of these countries. Other locations can be considered for exceptional candidates.
- Salary commensurate with qualifications and experience
- Expected starting date: as soon as possible
- An exciting and challenging position within a dynamic and innovative international organisation with a mission-driven work atmosphere
- International training in certification services provided by NEPCon
- A friendly, international team of colleagues, with a pleasant work environment
- Excellent opportunities for growth and professional development
How to apply?
Please submit your CV and letter of application (in English), including salary expectations, by 28 February 2020 via APPLY button below.
Note: Only applicants legally eligible to work in the relevant country will be considered.
NEPCon wishes our staff to reflect the diversity of society and thus welcomes applications from all qualified candidates regardless of personal background.
NEPCon is a mission-driven organisation working to ensure responsible use of natural... resources worldwide. Our core activity areas are certification, capacity building and environmental projects in forestry, wood processing and agricultural sectors. NEPCon has engaged in sustainability services, working with well-recognised certification schemes such as FSC, Rainforest Alliance Sustainable Agriculture and the Sustainable Biomass Program (SBP). Headquartered in Denmark, NEPCon has 230+ staff around the world. For further information visit www.nepcon.org. Rozwiń